masthead graphic by Ingga Alcala

This blog is mirrored in LiveJournal.

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Yada Yada Yada

My sister was watching Mickey Mouse & Friends on Disney Channel while I ate lunch the other day. I decided to watch along with her. There was nothing particularly unusual about the episode we were watching. There was good ol' Mickey Mouse teaching Minnie how skate. There was Goofy...goofy as always, and of course, Donald (my favorite in the lot) who was once again out to experience another bad hair day.

I was watching in my normal leisurely manner when it suddenly hit me--those 4 Disney characters bear uncanny similiarities to the 4 main characters of Seinfeld. I was watching the sitcom earlier that day and watching Mickey, Minnie, Donald, and Goofy reminded so much of Jerry, Elaine, George, and Kramer (in that order).

Jerry, like Mickey, is the main character after whom the show is named. We all know that Mickey's love interest is Minnie and though Jerry shares a generally platonic relationship with Elaine throughout the show's run, the two characters did date prior to the show's pilot.

George is so Donald. George's violent emotional outburts, reactions to his seemingly hapless existence, are so similar to the loud and angry quacking of Donald Duck whenever something aggravates him (which happens often).

Kramer, for me, is the character who most resembles his Disney counterpart. The parallelisms between them amuse me. They're both tall and gangly. They both take life in a pretty positive way. Both get into trouble a lot, but the easy-going and optimistic manner in which they deal with those problems manage to get them out of those situations alive. They're both...well, goofy.

Maybe I should do a paper on this...

No comments: